The Scoop

Landship Foods is inspired by the conviction that growing and eating healthy food is one of the most important things we can do for both ourselves and the broader communities of which we are a part. The name comes from the language of pre-industrial Europe. Before the enclosure movement and the associated rise in notions of private property swept England, the suffix “-ship” (as in "relationship," or "friendship") referred to an object or an abstraction with collective duties and mutual rights. Thus, the term “landship” suggests that land was an entity through which humans were joined to each other by a set of rights and responsibilities. I advocate for a revival of this awareness.

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Frozen-Ground Blues

Apparently, my writing died off as did my farming. Well, there is this little number that I composed during our January cold snap:

I got them frozen ground blues
Yeah, the fields are covered in ice
I need a thick-soled pair of shoes
Lawd, I got them frozen ground blues


We are experiencing a cold and wet winter here in Georgia - just as the el nino experts predicted - but the days are thankfully getting longer. This spring I will be working with a solid crew here in Athens to grow vegetables for a local restaurant that cooks up some seriously good food (Farm 255). I am starting to prepare for the early plantings, which entails cutting down trees and plowing new beds since we are growing on a farm that has been largely fallow for the past few years. In addition to this excitement, I am eager to resume the public agricultural diary that is Landship Foods. I'll be brainstorming on the backporch in the meantime...

No comments: