The Scoop

Landship Foods is inspired by the conviction that growing and eating healthy food is one of the most important things we can do for both ourselves and the broader communities of which we are a part. The name comes from the language of pre-industrial Europe. Before the enclosure movement and the associated rise in notions of private property swept England, the suffix “-ship” (as in "relationship," or "friendship") referred to an object or an abstraction with collective duties and mutual rights. Thus, the term “landship” suggests that land was an entity through which humans were joined to each other by a set of rights and responsibilities. I advocate for a revival of this awareness.

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

July Happenings

I pulled my sleeping bag over my head this morning as I woke up. In those first fuzzy moments I tiptoed on the border of sleep and wake, but soon jolted up off my bed when I realized that I never have to pull the covers up for extra warmth unless it is close to freezing. I got down to the thermometer near the crops at about 6:30; it read 35 degrees. I feared this meant that a few hours earlier it had been 32.5, if not less...
We spent the rest of the day hauling ponderosa pine timbers out of the hills for a fence around the main plot.

After dinner I walked through the plot and found what I feared: frost damage on the young zucchini sprouts. Frost on July 6th. A light and patchy frost, but a frost nonetheless.


As a farmer, you have to learn to shake your head and chuckle at most of the bad luck and undesirable news. If you can't do that, you won't stay in the field for long.

Whenever I needed to laugh today I just dug up my favorite fourth of July memory: While waiting in line for a funnel cake, I saw a woman with a shirt on that read "Land of the Free, Home of the Awesome". 'Nuff said

No comments: